Translate

Saturday, August 4, 2018

The Indian

Hi everybody, welcome.
This is an oil painting I just finished, it’s 30” x 40” commission called “The Indian,” that’s my patron’s title as it was the name of the horse when she purchased him from the actor Tab Hunter.
This is a woman who has owned horses most of her life and raised champion show dogs. When we met and I had a tour of her home I was stunned to find that she has a very comprehensive fine art print collection with some of the contemporary realist artists that have been my heroes since college. Like a singer with perfect pitch, regarding this type of realism her selection was spot on!
The Indian was a friend to her – descriptions and tales told in loving memory, both of The Indian and Tab Hunter makes a portrait of this nature a large idea to live up too.
Generally, for something of this caliber I take a day or a week – to photograph the subject until I capture what I want. In this instance the only reference material was one blown up 20” x 30” Kodachrome print, now faded and one 5” x 7” snapshot of the same pose which I took a picture of and had an 8 “ x 10” made and worked from that. She did not want ‘The old barn’ in the background and left it to me to create an environment for her friend.
My thought was, “Where would this horse love to be?” He’s a Paint so – the mesa, the foothills? I think he looks right at home.
I brought her over and she brought her grown lawyer son, (uh - oh), to my studio to review before heading into the final version which you see here. “I knew it would be good,” she said. “But this exceeds all my expectations!!” I love hearing that. And you know, “Holy Shit!!” another fav – lol!
Truly, the best part is seeing and feeling the contentment, happiness and joy when someone is connecting with the art whether it’s a commission or an existing painting. She once asked me, “What does it feel like to be that gifted and have your level of talent?” “First of all, gratitude, then responsibility,” is how I responded.
Yes, it is magical, it’s a high when you nail it, yes, at times inspired but no advancement happens, no accomplishment manifests without the focus, the discipline and the work. I always want to do as much with it, reach as many people as I can and I never feel like I have done enough.
Thanks for looking at my art today. If you are considering a commission send me a pm and let’s chat about it!
Art © 2018 Alan Phillips https://alanphillipstudio.com/ to view my fine art oils and watercolors.
Loving is sharing so if you are digging the post and the work pass it along to your friends!
Have a sterling day!  More to come.....

No comments:

Post a Comment