Translate

Monday, January 25, 2016

A Bit of Winter Sun


A Warm Welcome.

It's been a tad chilly lately. This, coming from me who loves Maine and cold weather. Me who loves the rippin raw Atlantic Ocean! I do hope all of you have remained safe in wake of recent storms.

I like the warmth too. I like the sun. This was a rather cold day at the beach and overcast in tones of grey. Then suddenly the sun peeked through and this laughing gull was soaking it up.

The challenge here was the red and of course when you have a challenge with one color everything is always in relation to everything else when it comes to color. I like playing complimentary colors off each other so, we have some green with red in it for most of the water to play off the reds in the chair and the oranges get some boost from the blue in the top of the skyline.

That highlight in the hook is green and in some of the shadow areas using green to tone down the red rather than black, brown or blue. It softens it yet it remains solid.

You get some yin and yang going with most gulls as they are a tonal or black and white ratios.

If you have not been over to my new place for seeing my art it's alanphillipstudio.com
Alan Phillips Fine Art. if you use a search engine C'mon over and have a look!

I am working on my first newsletter, theres a place to provide your email on my new site and not sure when the first one is going out, but soon! So sign up and stay in the loop for what's on the Alan Phillips agenda.

More to come.....

All art copyright Alan Phillips 2016






No comments:

Post a Comment