Translate

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

THE ARCHER



Welcome.

I once read a quote from a very famous and somewhat successful contemporary artist
that went something like this, "Paint what sells and keep painting that." I disagree with all my being. That is I disagree as an artist. A smart businessman knows it as a commercial truth.

We as artists have to connect our soulful search with the crossroads of commerce and there are many who have done just that. I like the idea of experimentation and creative growth after all the thing that you show that is successful has to begin somewhere as an unproven
journey. In the meantime we still have to eat and pay for canvas eh?

This is a series that I tried out simply because I am in part a scribe, a cave painter digging into the side of a rock or clay wall and expressing my beliefs, my desires and my fears.
My work in this instance is from the central flow of my calligraphic nature. The hyperslipstream is where I live and although this piece has a fair amount of formal structure it is a relative explosive expression of that inner dimension.

This is a 30 x 40 inch mixed media (oil, white marker, black marker and gold pen) piece on canvas and was sold a few years back with several others. I will post them as well in the future. It is a series that I have done studies for and will continue to develop in the coming years. 

More to come......

All art copyright Alan Phillips 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment