Translate

Wednesday, January 11, 2017

A Coastal Legacy

Welcome.

Hi everybody. This is a scene from Mayport Village in Mayport, Florida in the Jacksonville area. These boats and the fisherman are what remains of a bygone era when so much of life was engaged in the handmade, organic, fresh caught, grown livelihood whether it was the farm or the vast ocean. I miss it. There seem to be fewer of them each year.

When I need to catch a glimpse of it I head out to this little fishing village where there used to be lumber mills. You can get you some fresh caught shrimp too. I would call them Mayport shrimp as some do but it is difficult to label them as there are many varieties. I get mine from a wholesaler and they are as tasty, rich, wholesome and flawless as though I had reached into the sea and pulled them out one by one. Perfect.

My painting of it here is a 15" x 20" watercolor on board.

The boats themselves are beautiful. I imagine they have seen so many adventures, gorgeous waters, fed so many families and could tell you outstanding stories of their journeys were they to speak. I love the lines, the patina, the sea and geographic related names on the hulls. Whether under way or at rest they are works of art to me.

Here's what I do with the shrimp. I put them in water and heat until just before a boil. I take them out, cool them down in cold water. Then I take of the shells and clean them. I heat a little extra virgin olive oil with fresh sliced garlic on a warm temperature until you can smell the garlic throughout the kitchen. When the garlic and olive oil are hot I put the shrimp in with fresh cut basil and cook for no more than two minutes. I eat them with veggies or pasta or in a salad. The way I cook them ensures that you will have a mouthwatering tender flavorful and flavor- filled shrimp every time.

Bon appetit!

Thank you for stopping by today. If you would like to see more art or connect you can find me at www.alanphillipsartstudio.com or on LinkedIn.

More to come....

All art copyright Alan Phillips 2017©


No comments:

Post a Comment