Translate

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Sound And The Fury....

Welcome.

Signifying nothing.....as he struts his hour upon the stage..for me, Faulkner
Shakespeare and you!

I do love Hemingway, Jack London, William Faulkner and Jack Kerouac all for different reasons however each to their own was close to the land and a universe of difference in how they connected to it.

I took many great journeys with these writers in the comfort of their tales and many more when I was doing editorial book art for the Easton Press when I was an illustrator.

This work was 30 x 40 inches oil on canvas, I sold it about 20 years ago but it remains one of my favorite literary portraits. It was for a collection of works by William Faulkner. I really dig the thin passages of washes juxtaposed with subtle opaques. I also like the echo of Bill's friend as well as the reference of the pose echoing the other great writer of the mighty Mississippi. I think that little Jack Russell senses something?

More to come....
All art copyright Alan Phillips 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment