Translate

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Sunday Morning at Speakers Corner......



Welcome.

Picture in your mind a beautiful fall morning. You are in London. You are scouting   Hyde Park for oils and watercolors. I mean I am. What I mean by scouting is that most of my art comes from observation in the real world reality that we both can see and touch, certainly a journalistic narrative when it comes to street tribes.

On this day though I am thinking perhaps some wildlife; believe it or not as I saw some white pelicans in the pond and those cool blue dorries, well, you know how I feel about boats, small boats, wooden boats.. I go out hunting for scenes or ideas to paint. Stumble upon might have been invented by me if I was paying attention!

What was and is delightful is I did stumble upon a festival of characters. Are you kidding? People in jesters hats, heck jesters pants! Colors are rippling across the green lawn, stripes, polka dots, reds, blues, greens, yellows, orange, pink and that's just folks hair! Man I was in image heaven.

I did listen to a few of the didactic diatribes. I shrugged my shoulders and went in search of more visual conversations.

One of those that I discovered was this couple shown in this watercolor painting. It has hung in my home or studio where I see it every day for a couple of decades. You see they seemed to be a magnet for people. Friends approached them and you could almost see a warm vibe eminating from them (brings to mind Carlos Castanada and the energy projections he discussed in The Teachings of Don Juan) the interactions were smiles and hugs and they had a stroller with a young child. I loved the guy's skull cap. When they saw me taking photos they just smiled and went on with their day. These days I would have introduced myself but I did not have the presence of mind to do so back then and so they will forever remain a happy mystery and an idea.

Occasionally I will step outside my coastal genre if it seems appropriate in sharing my art. Hope this brings you a smile.

This one is not for sale.

More to come.....

All art and images copyright Alan Phillips 2014




No comments:

Post a Comment