Translate

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Ultimate Dubliner.....

Welcome.

This is a very stylized portrait of James Joyce that I completed some time ago. I know this is a place where mostly coastal and wildlife genres rule, however I think Mr. Joyce may have enjoyed a wild life for a moment or two.

Thing is, sometimes I look at older works and well, quite frankly they hold up. I was always fond of this one. Considered Ulysses, Dubliners and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man required reading when I was an artist as a young man. Great literature, writers and books have been faithful companions and beloved educators in my life since the time when I could read my first sentence.

It is an oil painting on canvas 22x18 inches.

One of the things I admired about Joyce was the strength of his mind, his determination and unapologetic conviction of his talent and it's value. Besides every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man. Thank you ZZ.

Here in the USA we are on the cusp of our Thanksgiving celebration. I am grateful for so much in my life. I wish all who are reading this whether celebrating in your country or not happiness in your life and to notice all of your own good fortune. Thanks for checking in.

More to come....

All art and images copyright Alan Phillips 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment